Building my own firewall using Untangle
Building my own firewall using Untangle.by James Addison
Having enterprise security does not require one to purchase expensive hardware from Sophos, Cisco or any other security company. With the free version of Untangle a little bit of reading and work one can build their own enterprise firewall.
InformationThe purpose of this post is to share with you the steps I went through in building my firewall.
- Verify hardware requirements
- Download Untangle
- Install Untangle
|1 - 5 devices||Atom/P4 equivalent or greater||2 GB||80 GB||2 or more|
|51 - 100 devices||Dual Core||2 GB or more||160 GB||2 or more|
|51 - 150 Devices||Dual Core||2 GB or more||160 GB||2 or more|
|151 - 500 Devices||2 or more cores||2 GB or more||500 + GB||2 or more|
|501 - 1500 devices||4 Cores||4 GB or more||500 + GB||2 or more||64 bit|
|1501 - 5000 devices||4 Cores or more||4 GB or more||500 + GB||2 or more||64 bit|
My HardwareI built my Untangle NG Firewall using an old Dell Vostro 400 Intel Dual Core system with 4 GB of RAM, a 128 GB SSD hard drive, 2 the other a PCI Express card, with a Dell ATI Radeon 3450 256 MB PCI-E video card, and a 350 watt power supply. I picked it up at FreeIT Athens for $30 dollars and added the video card and extra NIC for about $15. For WIFI I have converted my old router into a wireless AP.
How to obtain UntangleTo obtain the Untangle NG Firewall software you will need to go here https://www.untangle.com/get-untangle/ and create an account.
Lastly, because I like supporting software I use, I spent $50 and bought the Home Pro even though I could have done everything with the free version.
- After downloading Untangle create your bootable medium
- Boot into Untangle
- Select Graphical Install
- Select your language
- Select your location
- Select your keyboard
- Configure your timezone
- Partition the hard drive
- Allow the installation to run
- Complete the installation
- Allow the computer to reboot into Untangle
- Select your language
- Click Run The Setup Wizard
- Read the license
- If you agree with the license click Agree
- Next Configure the Server
- Identify and configure your network cards
- Configure your Internet connection
- Configure your internal network connection
- Select how you want updates to be handled
- Next you will login with the account your created earlier
- Next select the option to install apps
- Next you will see the Untangle dashboard